top of page

Centrelink assistance for carers

Through Centrelink there are a variety of different financial supports available to parents and carers. You may be entitled to the following supports if you are a parent/carer of a child with a disability:

Carer Payment Income support payment for people whose caring responsibilities prevent them from undertaking substantial paid employment.

Carer Allowance Income supplement for people who provide daily care and attention at home to a person with disability or a severe medical condition.

Child Disability Assistance Payment This is a $1000 annual payment made for a child with disability under 16 years who attracts a payment of Carer Allowance for their carer.

Carer Adjustment Payment The Carer Adjustment Payment is an ex gratia scheme providing one-off financial assistance to families in exceptional circumstances who do not qualify for any Government income support payments.

Carer Supplement The Carer Supplement is a payment paid to recipients of Carer Allowance for each person they care for and an additional $600 Carer Supplement is paid to recipients of Carer Payment. It is paid in July each year.

Some additional useful information:

Use the Centrelink website: The Centrelink website includes lots of useful information for parents and carers including the current eligibility requirements for the Disabiltiy and Carers Payment, Allowance and Pensions.

Download the Centrelink app: If you have a mobile device, download the Express Plus Centrelink mobile app – so you can complete transactions on the go!

Carer Gateway: The Carer Gateway website is a great place to start for support and services. It is a national online and phone service that provides practical information and resources to support carers. The interactive service finder helps carers connect to local support services.

My Health Record: My Health Record is the national digital health record system. Registering for My Health Record means your important health information like allergies, medical conditions and treatments, medicine details test or scan reports can be digitally available in one place.

Contacting Centrelink by phone: If you’re calling Centrelink here are some helpful numbers:

1. Disability & Carers 132 717 Call this number to talk about Carer payments, Carer allowances and Disability Support pension

2. Self service line 136 240 Call this number to hear about options relevant to the payment you are on

3. Reporting line 133 276 Call this number to report your fortnightly income

Computers are available to use at Service Centres: If you don’t have a computer at home you can visit one of the service centres and use the self service terminals.

Centrelink staff are trained in different specific areas such as Employment or Disability. You may not be able to speak face to face with a staff member trained in the area relevant to you when you visit a centre. You will be able to do this by telephone.


Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page